Tax free shopping in the Netherlands
Are you residing in a country outside the European Union? If so, did you know that you do not need to pay value added tax (VAT) on the goods you buy during your holiday or business trip to the Netherlands?
In most cases you need to pay 21% VAT (turnover tax) on all the goods you purchase in the Netherlands. The terms and conditions for tax free shopping in the Netherlands are as follows:
- you reside in a country that is not a member of the European Union
- the purchased goods need to be taken home (outside the EU) within three months
- the total amount of your purchased goods must be at least EUR 50,- (previously EUR 136,-)
There are two possible procedures in order to retrieve the VAT on your purchased goods from MONFRANCE schoenmode:
Procedure through MONFRANCE SCHOENMODE. If you made a purchase in one of our shops, you received a purchase receipt stating the VAT amount.
- You take the receipt(s) of MONFRANCE schoenmode with you to the airport or border. Most people travel from the European Union by plane, but those who do so by car can go to the border customs in order to get a validation stamp on their receipts.
- The customs officer will stamp your receipts after checking and confirming that you reside in a country outside the European Union and that you are therefore exporting the purchased goods.
- You will then send the stamped receipts of MONFRANCE schoenmode together with a copy of your passport and a letter stating at which address you are residing outside the European Union and your Dutch bank account details to:
MONFRANCE schoenmode B.V.
T.a.v. Financiële Administratie
6229 PM Maastricht
- We will then transfer the VAT amount to your Dutch bank account as soon as possible.
Procedure through 'VATfree' on Schiphol Airport. If you made a purchase in one of our shops, you received a purchase receipt stating the VAT amount.
- You need to register your purchased goods on the website www.VATfree.nl. You will subsequently receive an overall invoice from VATfree listing all your purchases.
Since ' VATfree' will provide you with an overall invoice listing all the purchased goods you registered that day, you will be able to retrieve the VAT amount of all your purchases during your stay in the Netherlands simultaneously. To do so, it is important that you kept the receipts of all the shops and you must export your purchases outside the European Union. This way you will even be able to retrieve VAT on smaller purchases, as long as the total amount of the combined purchases is at least EUR 50,-.
- You then need to take the overall invoice together with all your receipts to the airport or border.
You will go to the border customs or the customs desk at the airport and you will show:
- the items you purchased in the Netherlands
- the VATfree overall invoice enabling it to be stamped
- Most people travel from the European Union by plane, but those who do so by car can go to the border customs in order to get a validation stamp on their receipt.
The customs officer will stamp your overall invoice after checking and confirming that you reside in a country outside the European Union and that you are therefore exporting the purchased goods.
You will then send to 'VATfree':
- all your receipts
- the VATfree overall invoice stamped by the customs officer
VATFREE Europe (international free post, no postage stamp required)
1110 VD Schiphol
(It is also possible to hand over the paperwork at the Service Wings Desks in departure hall 2 at Schiphol airport)
Processing by ' VATfree':
' VATfree' will transfer the VAT amount to your bank account within six weeks. Service fees will be charged. VATfree will subsequently retrieve the VAT from the tax authorities
For more and further information on tax free shopping in the Netherlands we would like to refer you to the website of VATfree (www.vatfree.com) and/or the the Dutch customs (www.douane.nl) or please call +31 (0) 88 VATFREE or contact them by Skype/Twitter/Facebook: VATfree
Note: No rights can be derived from the information stated above. MONFRANCE schoenmode B.V. is not responsible for the accuracy of the information above and will therefore not accept any responsibility for any consequences arising nor which have been caused by the information above.